My main research topics in the area of speech production and motor control are:
- What do we control when we produce sounds and what is a byproduct of our vocal apparatus?
- To what extent are inter-speaker differences actively produced or constrained by anatomical/physiological differences (e.g. palate shape, vocal tract shape)?
- How are different articulators coordinated? What is the basis of this coordination?
- What are the units of speech production?
- What happens when we perturb the articulators?
- What is the relation between speech planning and execution?
- To what extent does breathing activity reflect the preplanning of an utterance?
- How can sublexical speech errors be explained?
- How is the serial order of units controlled?
I do not necessary have many answers to these questions, but I found them very challenging.
Research projects I am currently involved:
- PB1 - Boundary phenomena in speech at ZAS Berlin
- PILIOS (French-German cooperation)
- Ambrym - Language documentation project in Vanuatu (I was the camera woman, see: www.sciencemovies.de - Project: Wer spricht noch Daakaka?)
- SPRECHart (PI, project supported by the German Research Council)